501: University-sponsored Memberships in Career-related Organizations
Georgetown University has established guidelines concerning support of employee memberships in career-related organizations.
The University will support employees who wish to join and participate in career-related organizations when:
- the affiliation is consistent with the mission and values of the University,
- membership will benefit the employee and the University, and
- adequate funding is available to sponsor the membership.
An employee may request the University to sponsor membership in an appropriate organization by submitting a request to the immediate supervisor. The request should include:
- a description of the organization,
- an explanation of how the membership would benefit the University and the employee,
- the complete cost of membership,
- an estimate of the amount of University work time the employee will spend participating in the organization.
The supervisor will review the request and forward it with a recommendation to the department head. The department head will promptly approve or disapprove the request and inform the employee and supervisor.
A department head (or higher level employee) who wishes to join a career-related organization should send a request to the appropriate supervisor.
Membership payments must be processed according to the University’s fiscal procedures.
Department heads are responsible for approving or disapproving requests for University-sponsored memberships in career-related organizations.
For more information concerning this policy, contact the appropriate Human Resources department.